Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Script of the preliminary exercise

Script: A Crazy Lab Assistant
The scene begins in the school laboratory. Two students are busy completing their chemistry project. During that time lab assistant was looking in a conical flask filled with a deep blue liquid, confused trying to figure out what it was. Clumsily the bottle slips from her hand and it crashed down to the ground. The crash startles the students and they turn around to find that their experimental liquid was spilled on the ground
ABEERA: Oh my god! Miss you broke it!
LAB ASSISTANT: (scared but quickly recovering) what are you doing here? You shouldn’t be here!
ABEERA: I was supposed to use that as my project!
LAB ASSISTANT: you shouldn’t be here (getting angrier) just leave the room! Go now!
Both students leave the room. The next scene unfolds in the principal reading a complaint sheet on his seat with his back towards the door. There is a knock on the door.
PRINCIPAL (without looking) come in.
LAB ASISTANT enters the room looking unconcerned. Principal turns around and faces the lab assistant
PRINCIPAL: have a seat (lab assistant sits down)
PRINCIPAL: I see you haven’t been performing your duties well. I have a whole bunch of complaints against you. Do you know how many people have complained against you? (a pause during which she looks in her file) you haven’t been performing your duties right, you have been leaving up chemicals lying around like that, you haven’t been cleaning up after that and you have been leaving the students early and they are not doing their job right! What do you have to say about that?
LAB ASSISTANT: (unconcerned) Listen I am sorry, and I don’t even remember breaking anything before than today, so please forget it. (Rolls her eyes)
PRINCIPAL: I don’t know what to do with you now miss, you haven’t been doing your job right. I don’t have enough money to run this place on my own you know. I need people like you and you are not doing your job right. I think I will have to fire you for that.
LAB ASSISTANT: (sitting up straighter) listen, don’t fire me (voice quavering) I borrowed some money from my boyfriend and I have to pay him back and I have a sick brother I need this job to pay all the bill and I cannot afford it (returning to her unconcerned attitude) I mean, you cannot fire me
PRINCIPAL: (getting angry with her non committal attitude) oh spare me that lament Marianne! I don’t care what your boyfriend does! I want you to do your job right! Do you get that!
LAB ASSISTANT: (sobers up with principals outburst and her expression becomes helpless) listen I have a sick brother at home and he has leukemia. And.. I need money for his sickness and I cannot afford this and ah.. Please don’t fire me and… and I need this job (her eyes fill up with tears) and.. (her voice wavers) please don’t do this..(Lab assistant burst into tears. Lab assistant still exasperate and annoyed waits for her to stop crying while the lab assistant cries even harder as the minutes past by. The scene ends with assistant crying hysterically

No comments:

Post a Comment